1970s Reunion – 21st October 2023
60s Reunion – October 2022
A hugely successful ROSA 1960s pupils reunion was held on Saturday 15th October. The daytime event at the Rye College attracted 100 attendees and consisted of tours of the premises provided by the current head boy and girl. This allowed those attending to reminisce and see the changes made to the building over the years as well as enjoying a buffet lunch.
Former pupils of the former Grammar and Secondary schools were present and 60 of them managed to survive for the evening event! This was organised by former student, Kevin Williams, and held at the former Secondary School site in New Road. He played music consisting of many old 60s favourites.
The photo below shows those attending the daytime event in the college hall.
The next 1970s reunion will take place on Saturday 21st October 2023 when it is anticipated that an all day event will take place consisting of a lunch followed by live music in the evening with the Rockitmen.
60s Reunion – June 2006
Photo courtesy of Lois Benton – from the late Maureen Getley’s collection
60s Reunion – September 2018
On a wet evening on Saturday 22 September 2018, some 90 old scholars (and staff) who had attended either Rye Grammar School, Rye County Secondary Modern School and/or Thomas Peacocke School in the 1960s gathered together for a reunion at the Sidney Allnutt Cricket Pavilion, including the Richard Merricks Room, on the Salts in Rye. It was an appropriate venue given its connection to two well-loved and resected figures from the history of Rye Grammar School: teacher Sidney Allnutt and former pupil Richard ‘Rick’ Merricks.
Despite the weather, and the consequent inability to use in full the marquee which had been erected specially for the event, the general consensus was that a good time was had by all. Special thanks go to the following members of the ROSA Committee for making the event a success.
- A wonderful buffet – Judith Blincow , Claire Spacey and Shirley Bannister who worked so hard. And the pavilion looked suitably festive.
- Richard Moore’s sterling efforts with the raffle made a valuable contribution to our funds.
- Margaret O’Neill had been tireless in drumming up support for the event and the results were evident on the night.
- Sue and Tony Moore did a fantastic meet and greet job under very difficult conditions and we have some more emails to add to our distribution list.
- Thanks to Martin Blincow for enabling us to use the pavilion and for putting up and taking down the marquee.
- Our official photographer (!) Andy Spacey spent the evening taking photos, some of which will appear exclusively in the forthcoming Bulletin. But hopefully a few of the others will be put onto the website in due course. If anyone has any others that they feel able to share, please could you email them to me at email@example.com
In the meantime, here are a few efforts taken with my iphone.
The list of attendees (in order of arrival) is also set out below.
Thanks so much to all those who supported the event – we are very grateful to you.
Tim Rothwell, Chair, ROSA Committee
Braving the elements and getting ready
In full swing
The official (!) photographs by Andy Spacey – with grateful thanks to him for his hard work all evening
Lois Benton (Staff)
Maureen Getley (Staff)
Jill Elliott (Staff)
Peter Holliday (Staff)
Liz Cornelius (nee Ewart)
Janet and Alan McInnes
Howard and Mary Jones
Jenny Hadfield (nee Burke)
Richard Wright (Staff)
Christine Tree (nee Bourne)
Mark and Rosemary Bianchi
Andy Chapman (nee Lewid)
Gilly Winterbottom and Michael Eagle
Beverley Creed (nee Gill)
Judith and Martin Blincow
John and Geraldine Breeds
Sue and Tony Moore
Tim and Libby Rothwell
Claire and Andrew Spacey